Sunday, January 21, 2007

Saturday January 20: Coney Island

Inspired by one of the books that I recently read ("The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald) and not having visited many of the other New York boroughs besides Manhattan, I decided to take a metro to Coney Island yesterday. Taking a metro to its end point makes you realize just how big New York actually is (the trip took ~1H from downtown Manhattan)

I arrived at Coney Island (the name was given by the Dutch and originally stems from Coneyne Eiland or "Rabbit Island") in the early afternoon and if the temperatures in Manhattan were between 0°C & -5°C, the sea breeze at Coney Island made it feel like -20°C. The view made up 200% for the cold temperatures. I must say I really enjoyed being at the seaside and having escaped from the upheaval of Manhattan into the quietness of the promenade and the beach... I've started to realize that I need nature and open air more than I originally thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home